Tuesday 3 September 2013

Fallout of Lagos International T/Tennis Classics: I'm happy losing to Otu--Offiong

Fallout of Lagos International T/Tennis Classics: I'm happy losing to Otu--Offiong

NIGERIA'S Edem Offiong has said that she has no ill-feelings losing in the final of the singles' title of the just-concluded Lagos International Table Tennis Classics to fellow Nigerian, Cecilia Otu-Akpan.
Offiong last Saturday at the Molade Okoya-Thomas Hall, Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos had lost
9-11, 11-7, 11-6, 5-11, 11-9, 8-11, 11-9 to Otu in the final also watched by governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State.
"I am happy despite losing to my compatriot (Otu) and my joy is that this title remains in Nigeria. I had wanted to win the competition but my opponent played better. I am happy over her victory because she is coming back after a long absence," said Offiong who was number three seed in Lagos Classics.
Meanwhile, Otu number four seed in the tournament has attributed her victory to determination
and sheer providence.
"I am so happy to win this competition and I give glory to God. I played every game with determination to win and I'm happy that it is a mission accomplished for me. I was out of the game for a long period and coming back in big way is a thing of delight to me.
"In fact, I am so excited that this kind of competition is being staged in Nigeria. I hope we will have more of this competition because it would help the local players a lot to improve in the game," said Otu, who defeated tournament's number one seed, Han Xing of Congo Brazzaville in the semi-final.
It will be recalled that the duo of Otu and Offiong defeated Han Xing and Onyiyechi Nwachukwu of Congo 9-11, 11-9, 11-6, 10-12, 11-7 to claim the women's doubles title of the competition.
Reigning African champion and tournament's number one seed, Omar Assar of Egypt defeated six-time Olympian, Segun Toriola 4-3 to claim the men's singles title.

Caption: Offiong Edem in action during the just-concluded Lagos International Table Tennis Classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment