Tuesday 24 September 2024

I supposed to come out last before Joshua fight, says Dubois


Reigning International Boxing Federation (IBF) world heavyweight champion, Daniel Dubois. doesn't think it was right that he was made to walk first against Anthony Joshua.

On Saturday night, Dubois knocked out AJ in the fifth round at Wembley Stadium to retain his IBF heavyweight world title.

As the champion it is customary to walk second when making a defence of one's title.

However, to the surprise of many, Dubois came out to the ring before the challenger at the weekend.

"It's not right really for the champion to come out first but at the end of the day, I was in my mindset," Dubois told talkSPORT's Jim White.

"We had a great ring walk, it was perfect, the whole occasion was just huge, the opportunity, everything.

"I was just soaking it up. When I was in the ring we lit up the place. 

That was the best ring walk, don't you think?

"I was all business from the moment I left the dressing room to when I got into the ring.

"Once I was in the ring, it was like 'No looking back now, it is on'."

When the bell rang, Dubois came flying out the gates and floored AJ with a big right hand at the end of the opening stanza.

He continued bullying Joshua for the remainder of the fight as he dropped him twice more before closing the show in the fifth round with a perfectly timed counter right hand.

"I was not going to freeze, I wasn't overawed by the occasion," he added.

"To me, it was like a stroll in the park walking in there, I had to be in the right mindset to go in there and do what I did.

"It was doing everyone proud, doing my family proud, my dad, my team that is around me.

"I couldn't let them down, I did months and months of training for this and I was in the gym every day, hating what I was doing.

"But I've done it so there are no excuses... I'm always my biggest critic so I look where I can improve on but I'm proud.

"I did myself proud, I believe, all of the fights I've had back to back have been top-level fights and I've come through them so I'm proud of myself."

Following the all-British clash, Matchroom Boxing chief Eddie Hearn insisted there was a rematch clause and that his client was likely to activate it after the crushing defeat.

However, Dubois' promoter Frank Warren informed talkSPORT that the same clause wasn't in his client's paperwork.

Regardless of the technicalities, Dubois has emphatically welcomed a second fight with Joshua.

"Yeah, if that happens down the line then yes," he said when asked if he would entertain a rematch.

"If that happens next then yeah. I want to go for it.

"I want to do even better next time. I know where I need to improve as well, so as a champion and a fighter I want to prove people wrong every time and that's what we have been doing...

"I think I would, I can do a lot better than that. It was a great showing but next time I believe I'll be more clinical. More sharp, everything."


Caption: Anthony Joshua (left), dazed by Daniel Dubois's punch, during their IBF world title fight in London on Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment