Sunday, 23 August 2026

2026/27 EPL MATCHDAY ONE RESULTS


Arsenal          3 Coventry       0   

Hull City       2 Man Utd        0   

Ipswich          2 Sunderland    1

Nottm Forest 0 Leeds Utd     1 

Everton          2 C'Palace        0

Brentford       3 Tottenham     0

Man City        2 Bournemouth 1  

Brighton         4 Aston Villa    0

Newcastle       2 Liverpool      2 

Fulham           ? Chelsea          ?


Caption:

ECSTASY: Josko Gvardiol nets the winner for Manchester City against Bournemouth on Sunday at the Etihad Stadium.

Fury unsure if Joshua showdown will happen


Former WBC heavyweight world champion, Tyson Fury, believes his fight with Anthony Joshua "doesn't look like it's going to happen" in a verbal tirade against his British rival and promoter Eddie Hearn posted on social media.

The pair had been expected to meet in November in one of the biggest fights in British boxing history, but uncertainty over where the bout will take place has cast fresh doubt over the deal.

A former WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight champion, Joshua, and his promoter Hearn have signed a contract for it to be staged in the United Kingdom, while Saudi organisers are pushing for a move to the United States.

"Doesn't look like they're going to sign the fight and it doesn't look like it's going to happen all because Eddie Hearn and that want more money," Fury, who won 36 of his 39 pro fights said in a series of Instagram stories.

Joshua and Fury have separate contracts with Saudi Arabian-owned Sela. New York's Madison Square Garden is understood to be Sela's preference so that the fight - which will broadcast on Netflix - can cater for American audiences.

On Thursday, Hearn told IFL TV that a list of changes required for the fight to take place in America had been sent to Sela.

Hearn says the main change concerns compensation for Joshua because of the different tax implications of fighting in America.

"In layman's terms, by staging the fight in America, Anthony Joshua receives less money than he would do if the fight was in the UK where he was contractually agreed," he said.

Fury responded by calling Joshua and Hearn "disgusting" and "money-thirsty".

"It is what it is. Same old cliche a decade later. Keep running you little cowards," he added.

In further posts containing expletives, Fury called Hearn a "bag carrier" and criticised Joshua's mindset.

"I'll move on and fight somebody else but just know you never had the guts to fight Tyson Fury, ever, you little coward," Fury added.

In addition to the request for increased compensation, Hearn said his list of addenda covers practical matters including travel, accreditation and media arrangements.

Hearn said it had been approved by Joshua and his lawyer before being sent to Sela.

"We've had no feedback yet," Hearn said, adding that he had not heard from Sela for three or four days.

Reports on Thursday suggested a list of changes had been presented to the Saudi organisers. Hearn claims those reports were based on a leaked email and insists the issues raised in it were not part of the list sent to Sela.

"The addendum does not have one of those points raised in that leaked email," he said.

Hearn did confirm Matchroom held a meeting with Sela regarding money owed to the organisation for previously agreed contracts.

He said those issues, which reportedly included payments relating to darts and snooker events, international promotional fees, the World Series of Darts, the Ronnie O'Sullivan Snooker Academy in Riyadh and money owed to Matchroom from previous boxing events, were separate from the Joshua-Fury contract.

Hearn did not directly address claims that Joshua was still owed money from his most recent fight against Kristian Prenga.

"I'm not going to go into that at the moment. That's a contractual position that will be left for another day," he said.


Thursday, 20 August 2026

2026/27 NPFL MATCHDAY ONE FIXTURES


August 28, 2026:

Shooting Stars vs Inter Lagos


August 30:

Ikorodu City vs Ranchers Bees

Abia Warriors vs Kun Khalifat

Barau FC vs Nasarawa United

Bendel Insurance vs Warri Wolves

Rivers United vs Plateau United

Kwara United vs Kano Pillars

Doma United vs Sporting Lagos

Niger Tornadoes vs Enyimba

2026/27 EPL MATCHDAY 1 FIXTURES



August 21, 2026

Arsenal vs Coventry City 8:00pm


Aug. 22:


Hull City       vs Man Utd       12:30pm

Ipswich Town vs Sunderland 3:00pm

Nottm Forest vs Leeds Utd   3:00pm

Everton          vs C'Palace      3:00pm

Brentford      vs Tottenham   5:30pm

SUN:

Man City vs Bournemouth   2:00pm

Brigton    vs Aston Villa      2:00pm

Newcastle vs Liverpool       4:30pm

MON:

Fulham   vs Chelsea       8:00pm


Caption: 

New signing, Taiwo Awoniyi, set to make debut for Coventry City on Friday, against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium, London.


Friday, 31 July 2026

I'm not afraid of Yamal, says Adeyemi


New Barcelona signing, Karim Adeyemi, insists he is not afraid of competing with Lamine Yamal for a starting spot in Hansi Flick's attack, reports goal.com.

The former Borussia Dortmund forward also revealed how a quick phone call from Flick was all it took to seal his dream move to Spain.

Adeyemi has declared that he is ready to fight for his place in Flick's starting lineup, insisting he feels no fear about competing with Yamal. 

Speaking to Mundo Deportivo during Barca's pre-season training camp at Saint George's Park, the German forward opened up about settling into his new surroundings.

Adeyemi completed his transfer from Borussia Dortmund to bolster the Catalan giants' attacking options ahead of the new campaign. 

Rather than being intimidated by the competition in Barcelona's frontline, the 24-year-old expressed total confidence in his own abilities

When asked if he was worried about battling superstar teenager Yamal for playing time on the wing, Adeyemi offered a direct and fearless response. The versatile attacker made it clear that his focus remains entirely on his own performances on the pitch.

"No. I'm not afraid of any player." Adeyemi firmly stated during the interview. "I know that if I give my best, I'll have a chance to play."

Adeyemi also revealed that Flick required zero persuasion to bring him to the Camp Nou. The pair built a strong professional relationship during their shared time with the German national team, making the transfer a seamless decision for the forward.

"Convince is the wrong word," he added. "He simply called me and asked if I wanted to come. I told him, of course, because it's the biggest club in the world and these opportunities only come once. He didn't have to convince me. I've trusted him for a long time, and I have a lot of respect for him.

"I hope he sees things in me that I can contribute to the team on the pitch. He knows me very well from the national team, and we're very close."


Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Joshua could fight until 2029, says Hearn

Former IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO World heavyweight champion, Anthony Joshua, is expected to continue boxing for longer than was initially thought


Joshua's promoter, Eddie Hearn, revealed 11 months ago that 2026 would likely be AJ's final year in the sport, but a lot has changed in that time, as the former Olympic champion could still fight until 2029.

After knocking out YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul last December, Joshua was due to return to the ring in February to face kickboxing legend Rico Verhoeven.

However, those plans were put on hold after Joshua was involved in a tragic car accident in Nigeria that killed two of his close friends and left him with minor injuries.

After a period of mourning and recuperation, Joshua signed to fight long-time rival Tyson Fury, providing both men winning their respective tune-up bouts.

Fury boxes rugged Polish veteran Mariusz Wach on Friday in Thailand, while Joshua takes on little-known Albanian Kristian Prenga one day later in Saudi Arabia.

Should the pair come out unscathed, organisers have tentatively pencilled in the much-anticipated domestic dust-up for November.

Every indication, therefore, points to the Fury fight being Joshua's final bow.

But according to Matchroom founder Barry Hearn, that won't be the case.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Hearn said: "[Anthony Joshua] is in an amazing place at the moment. 

"Obviously I’ve seen him since 2012, we got very close. He’s like a member of our family really.

"I don’t think I’ve seen him so motivated for the long term.

"As I say, some of that has been fuelled by that tragic accident, but he’s now talking about the next three years in the ring.

"It was a year ago we were talking about potentially two fights and then go off to a happy retirement. 

"He’s very motivated, he feels good about himself, but boxing is a funny sport. 

"It takes one decent punch from a big lad to knock out anyone in the world."

If Joshua continues boxing for another three years, that would take his retirement age up to 39 years old.

Friday, 10 July 2026

Jesus reunites with Ronaldo as new Portugal coach


Jorge Jesus has been named Portugal's new head coach on a four-year contract to run through to the 2030 World Cup with the nation co-hosting the tournament.

Portugal were beaten 1-0 by Spain in the last 16 of this summer's tournament, and former boss Roberto Martinez had already announced he would be stepping down from the role he had held since January 2023.

Portuguese Jesus, 71, has worked with national team captain Cristiano Ronaldo during his one-year deal as Al Nassr head coach, and the pair lifted the Saudi Pro League title last season.

Following Portugal's exit on Monday, Ronaldo who finished the ongoing World Cup with three goals, confirmed that the 2026 Mundial would be his sixth and final, although he has made no official comment about retiring fully from international football.

Speaking on Friday, Jesus said the 41-year-old five-time Ballon d'Or winner, whose contract at Al Nassr runs until 2027, is a "symbol of Portuguese football".

He added: "As long as he's playing and is in a condition to be selected, I will pick him, within certain limits and under the conditions that I consider best for the national team.

"I haven't spoken with [Ronaldo] yet. [He] is never going to be a problem for the national team. Not for the national team, nor for me.

"I had great pleasure working with him this past year, [it's] easy to work with him."

Jesus' first game in charge will be Portugal's Nations League opening Group D game against against Wales on September 24.

Portugal are co-hosting the World Cup in four years with Spain and Morocco.

Jesus, who won a domestic treble with Saudi club Al Hilal in the 2023-24 season, lifted three league titles during his first spell as manager of Portuguese side Benfica in 2010, 2014 and 2015.

The Portuguese also enjoyed success in Brazil during his one year with Flamengo, winning five major trophies including the Brazilian title and the Copa Libertadores in 2019.