Monday 14 October 2013

Gov's Cup Lagos Tennis: Nigerian female players in bad outings

NIGERIA'S Sarah Adegoke on Monday lost to Xi-Yao Wang of China 6-0, 6-0 in the women's singles of the ongoing 13th Governor's Cup Lagos Tennis championship at the Lawn Tennis Court, Onikan, Lagos.
Her compatriot Blessing Samuel also crashed out of the singles event of the first leg as she lost to number one seed Tadeja Majeric of Slovakia 6-0, 6-0 while Zarah Razafmahatratra of Madagascar also beat US-based Nigerian lady, Idia Amen 6-3, 6-2 to advance in the competition.
Women's singles number two seed, Nina Bratchikova dumped American Alexandra Riley 6-3, 6-3.
In the men's singles, Sani Adamu defeated another home boy Shehu Lawal 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 as
Clifford Enosoregbe dumped John Otu 6-1, 1-0 (retired) to advance in the tourney.
It was a historic moment for former junior player, Christian Paul who against all odds defeated Eric Vehovec of Canada 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 to move ahead in the International Tennis Federation-sanctioned tournament as Ante Pavic of Croatia handed down defeat to home lad Edward Christopher Anefu 6-2, 6-0
Speaking after her loss, Adegoke said she was already thinking of the second leg tourney.
"I lost to a better player and the fact that I have not been training hard worked against me. My dad has been my only training partner and it has not been easy. I hope to do better next week, anyway," said the 15-year-old player.
Former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Open champion, Shehu Lawal attributed his defeat to poor fitness.
"I got tired and was too weak to move around. But that's tennis for you, you can't win always I guess this wasn't my day," Lawal said.
Meanwhile, Bratchikova after her victory over the American opponent said: "This is my first game, I hope to take each match as it comes. I hope to do well this year".
..............................
Caption: Sarah Adegoke

No comments:

Post a Comment