Thursday 18 December 2014

I warned Keshi before disgrace--Onigbinde

Former coach of the Super Eagles, chief Adegboye Onigbinde has revealed that he warned coach Stephen Keshi not to accept the recall to the senior national team by the presidency, after the initial decision of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), to ease him out.

The Modakeke high chief said in an interview that his advice to Keshi was well documented thus, will not want to flog a dead horse.

This came on the heels of the submissions by a number of tacticians including Shaibu Amodu, Christian Chukwu, Kasimawo Laloko, that Keshi had no business in the Super Eagles again given the prevailing circumstances.

“The truth of the matter is that on the day the presidency asked him to return to his job I sent him a text message that he (Keshi) should politely thank Mr president for the offer, but bow out honourably.

“He (Keshi) respectfully replied the text message and thanked me and that was it. He later went ahead with the two remaining 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers against Congo and South Africa, I’m sure the rest is history," said the man who coached Nigeria to the 2002 World Cup in Korea/Japan.

The former General Manager of Shooting Stars Sports club (3SC) of Ibadan, stated that his piece of advice to Keshi was borne out of his vast knowledge of Nigeria and football politics.

“I gave the advice to Keshi because I understand that he won’t work with the presidency which recalled him to his post as the Super Eagles manager, but a different set of people as well as an entirely different environment.

“So, I have said it two months ago and there is no point talking about the issue so that it won’t be as if I have interest in the whole matter. It was not a case of pressure, I’ve passed my view directly to him and so, I don’t need to pressure him further on the same issue," said the man who coached Nigeria to win silver at the 1984 AFCON in Abidjan.

It will be recalled that a former Nigeria coach, Amodu, among others said that there was no point for the former manager of Mali and Togo to continue with the Super Eagles' plum job.

"If he (Keshi) has a reputation, he should walk out of the job, but if he doesn’t, he should stay. But the situation as it is today, if I were him, does not permit that I continue on the job. I would just say ‘thank you Nigerians, sorry I failed, I can try another time but for now let another man try," said the former handler of Orlando Pirates of South Africa.

The Super Eagles under Keshi only last month failed to pick up a ticket to the 2015 AFCON following a 2-2 draw with the Bafana Bafana of South Africa.

Keshi won the last AFCON held in South Africa in 2013.


Caption: Keshi.


No comments:

Post a Comment