Thursday 27 November 2014

14th Gov's Tennis Cup: No regrets losing in the final--Adegoke

NIGERIA'S number one Sarah Adegoke who lost in the women's singles final of the 14th Governor's Cup Lagos Tennis Championship to Zarah Razafinmahatratra of Madagascar says the defeat will not give her a setback in her career.
 

Adegoke, who was overwhelmed by her opponent in the final decided last weekend at the centre court of the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club, Onikan, 6-0, 6-1 said she lost because she couldn't play to her potential on the final day. 
 

"Well, I don't know what really went wrong, I just discovered that I was not getting it right against my opponent. I wasn't under pressure at all. Everything did not work out for me, but I'm not disappointed. I have to take in good faith and forge ahead in my career.  I know her (Razafinmahatratra) style of play because we won the doubles event together in this competition, but I didn't believe the final could go this way. Everything was practically wrong, but I did my best.

" So, there is no regrets losing in the final. My dream is to be the first Nigerian to feature in the grand slam." said Adegoke, who became the second Nigerian woman to play in the final of the competition after Osaro Amadin, who claimed the title at the inaugural edition in 2000.  
 

Meanwhile, Moses Michael became the second Nigerian to win the men's singles title of the championship with his great comeback to defeat Duncan Mugabe of Uganda in the epic final watched by governor Babatunde Fashola.
 

Michael after losing 4-6 came back stronger to win the last two games 6-1, 6-2 and equalled the record of Sule Ladipo who won the title in 2001.
 

An elated Michael later dedicated the victory to his coach (Abbey), who he said greatly motivated him to attain thus far in his career.
 

Fashola in his remark expressed joy at the feat achieved by Michael in the International Tennis Federation-sanctioned tournament.
 

"I'm most delighted that we were able to hold this championship after the postponement which was caused by Ebola and thank God we were able to contain it. I am happy also that a Nigerian has won the championship this time which obviously is the valedictory edition for me as governor of Lagos State.    

 

"We have proved that nothing can be bigger than our resolve to make our people happy by ensuring that this annual championship holds again this year after the Ebola issue," Fashola said

Caption: Moses Michael, second Nigerian to win the Governor's Lagos Tennis men's singles title.

No comments:

Post a Comment