Saturday 30 November 2013

2014 World Cup: I am ready to fight for shirt-Yobo

OUT of favour Super Eagles captain, Joseph Yobo has said that he is ready to fight for a place in the team to the 2014 World Cup if coach Stephen Keshi would give him a chance.
"I am a competitor. That is what has kept me all these years. The day anybody takes competition away from me, then I might as well just retire. I compete at my club every day. This is what I do, this is what I've done over the years. Players don't have a guaranteed position. You have to compete in training every day and show that you are worth the place.
"Even when people thought I was indispensable in the national team, a sure starter, any of the coaches can tell you how hard I worked every single day in training. I feel like I'm competing with myself, I always have to prove myself over and over again. The coach (Keshi) also believes in me and that's why he says I'm still his captain. He knows me very well that if I'm fit I have a lot to offer. So all I pray is to stay fit.
"I don't know what's going to happen regarding the World Cup. But from my side there are no issues, I have said what I have to say and that is behind me. The rest is up to the coach. He is the boss, and he decides who he wants to call up to the squad," Yobo said in an interview with kickoffnigeria.com.
He stated that he will not expect his inclusion in the team to Brazil 2014 mundial to be based on compensatory measure.
"I'm a strong believer that everything about the national team should be on merit. Including selection. And that applies to me, too. I only want to get there on merit.But a coach also has a discretionary concession to select a few players if he feels they have something to offer even if they are not performing at their best with their clubs. Maybe an experienced player who has delivered in the past for the national team or a young
player who will benefit from the experience. And I think there is nothing wrong in that.
"As a player, all you want is for the coach to be straight up with everybody. If a player in your position is better than you are, you will know. If you are competing regularly at
your club and playing football at the highest level, then the same thing should apply anywhere else. It's not a matter of trying to look at someone and say he's old and carving out a role for him. It should be about competition on the field," said the Fenerbahce of Turkey defender.
The 2013 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) winner stressed that becoming the first player to get 100th cap with Nigeria remains his target.
"I would love to have it, but it has to be well deserved. On merit. If I'm playing consistently, doing well, I want to be picked on merit I don't want to be put in the team simply to reach 100 caps. That is not me. I want to get to 100 caps because I am playing football and not because I just want to be there to reach a number, or set a record," he said.
.....................

No comments:

Post a Comment